10 Best 22 Pellets For Squirrel Hunting
Updated on: March 2023
Best 22 Pellets For Squirrel Hunting in 2023
Haendler & Natermann Hornet Pointed Airgun Pellets, High-Impact, Super-Penetrating for Hunting.22 Caliber, 16 Grains (200 Count), Gray (PY-P-1206)
Crosman Squirrel Reset Target, Metal
- REACTIVE DISC TARGETS - Automatically reset, no need to walk down-range
- HEAVY-DUTY STEEL CONSTRUCTION - For years of target practice fun
- 1.5-INCH TARGET FOR SHOT PLACEMENT - Hit the 2-inch target to reset and start over
- COMPATIBLE WITH .177-CALIBER AIR GUNS - Up to 1200 fps
- COMPATIBLE WITH .22-CALIBER AIR GUNS - Up to 950 fps
Gamo 6110017154 Varmint Air Rifle .177 Cal
- .177 Cal pellet single cocking break barrel
- The Varmint features a long lasting spring piston able to deliver 1250 fps of muzzle velocity with Gamo PBA Platinum pellets .177 Cal
- Fluted polymer jacketed rifled steel barrel. Grooved cylinder rail
- 4 x 32 Shockproof Scope. Gamo trigger with adjustable second stage. It has a synthetic ambidextrous all-weather stock with a rubber recoil pad. Lightweight design
- Noise dampening: None
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY. Made In Spain
Crosman Destroyer Pellets, .177 caliber, 4.5mm, 250ct
- caliber: 0.177
- quantity: 250 pellets
Gamo Swarm Maxxim Air Rifle.177 Cal
- 10-Shot break barrel allows you to shoot up to ten pellets without reloading
- Velocity 1300 feet per second (fps) with PBA Platinum
- 3-9x40 Air Rifle Scope
- Inert Gas Technology (IGT)
- 2-Stage adjustable Custom Action Trigger (CAT)
- Fluted Polymer Jacketed Steel barrel with Whisper Maxim Technology
Haendler & Natermann Baracuda Hunter Extreme Pellets, 0.22 cal./18.52 gr, Hollowpoint, 200 Count (Pack of 1)
- Excellent for hunting / Max. shock effect
- Content: 200 air gun pellets
- Pellet Caliber/Weight: 0.22 cal./18.52 gr
- Screw-on lid prevents accidental pellet spills
Crosman American Classic Multi Pump Pneumatic Pellet Air Pistol .22-Caliber P1322 or .177-Caliber P1377, Black
- Shoots . 22 Caliber Pellets
- Velocity (fps): 460 Pellet
- Single shot bolt-action
- Variable Pump Power
- Adjustable rear sight (peep or open)
Gamo Swarm Magnum Swarm Magnum Air Rifle
- .22 Cal high power hunting single cocking break barrel air rifle, 1300 fps with PBA Platinum
- 10X Quick-Shot patent pending technology that utilizes a 10-round rotary-style magazine, providing faster loading for repetitive shooting. Simply break open the fluted polymer jacketed rifled steel barrel and fire for lightning-quick follow-up shots.
- Magnum-powered air rifle, 33 mm cylinder and IGT MACH 1. This gas piston is an upgrade from the IGT, delivers higher muzzle velocity while keeping the advantages of the IGT: durable, less vibration, and smooth cocking
- Whisper Fusion noise supressing technology, the quietest Gamo technology.
- Gamo 3-9x40 scope with RRR (Recoil Reducing Rail) - Absorbs the recoil of the rifle increasing the lifespan of the scope
- CAT (Custom Action Trigger) - Independently adjust 1st and 2nd stages, adjust your trigger to your personal preference, make it predictable. Comfortable all-weather synthetic ambidextrous thumbhole stock
- 5 YEAR WARRANTY. Made in Barcelona, Spain
H&N Sniper Magnum Pellets, Extreme Accuracy and Knockdown Power for Hunting and Target Shooting, .22 Caliber, 18 Grain (250 Count)
- SUPERB ACCURACY: The aerodynamic design combined with the tight, precise fit of these pellets in your .22 caliber barrel creates a great seal for consistent flight and excellent groupings.
- REMARKABLY CONSISTENT: Open the package and you’ll see that each pellet is precision made for minimal size, shape, or weight deviation. Load them and you’ll experience the same consistent shooting experience every time.
- POWERFUL KNOCKDOWN. The high mass of the .22 caliber pellet combined with the low drag of the aerodynamic domed barrel shape makes it especially hard-hitting, with excellent knockdown power at the target.
- PERFECT FOR LONG-RANGE HUNTING: The .22 cal H&N Sniper Magnum is ideal for long-range hunting, its accuracy and consistency delivering a clean, humane kill: hunt mice, squirrels, and chipmunks, small bird game like sparrows and magpies, and other pests.
- PRECISELY CRAFTED: Engineered and manufactured to exacting standards, each pellet is guaranteed for maximum quality and consistency. Even the container is carefully designed and crafted, with a screw-on lid to prevent accidental spills.
- NOTE: PACKAGING MAY VARY
H&N Terminator Hollowpoint Airgun Pellets, Stunning Accuracy and Deadly Force for Hunting, .22 Caliber 7.25/16.36 Grain (200 Count)
- SUPER ACCURATE: See why fans call the Terminator .22 “beautifully accurate” and “the most accurate pellets I’ve ever used.” The snug fit and precision of the Terminator delivers extreme accuracy every time, for a consistent, reliable shooting experience.
- UNIQUE DESIGN: The raised point in the center of the hollowpoint aids in penetration while the notched edges increase expansion, delivering a knockout punch to your target.
- PERFECT FOR HUNTING: The knockdown power and shock delivered by the partitioned hollowpoint means one shot is all you need to make a clean, humane kill: ideal for rabbits, squirrels, skunks, and other pests.
- EXCELLENT AT CLOSE RANGE: The H&N Terminator is capable of producing consistent and tight groups out to 50 yards.
- PRECISELY CRAFTED: Engineered and manufactured to exacting standards, each pellet is guaranteed for maximum quality and accuracy. Even the tin is carefully designed and crafted, with a screw-on lid to prevent accidental pellet spills.
The Ideal Squirrel Hunting Gun
The ideal squirrel hunting gun is a single shot 20 gauge shotgun with a full choke.
The ideal squirrel hunting gun is a single shot 20 gauge shotgun with a full choke. A gun such as the Harrington and Richardson Pardner is the ideal. Now let me explain why.
First, let's examine the choice of the 20 gauge. I ruled out the ever popular .22 (and other rifles) for the following reasons. It is hard to make a finishing off shot with a .22 and the idea of shooting squirrels out of trees is just bad. Even with a backstop, the little bullet passing through a squirrel can come out at an odd angle and leave the little projectile flying through the woods. A 12 gauge is simply over kill for most hunting purposes, the 12 does have an advantage in inexpensive ammo. The 16 gauge is also a fine choice but the lack of variety in loads rules it out. Yes, a large variety of loads are made, but the backwoods stores are likely to carry only one or two. The 28 gauge and .410 don't have enough power to bring the squirrels out of tall trees. I know it is done all the time, but a 20 gauge will do it better.
The reason for the single shot selection will now be explored. Single shots are as simple and reliable as possible. Get one with an exposed hammer (such as the Pardner) for quick and safe cocking and uncocking, which is much more reliable than a safety. Single shots are also inexpensive and very light. The need for super quick follow up shots is few and far between in squirrel hunting. This makes the extra weight of an autoloader, pump, or double just unneeded weight on most trips into the woods. In fact, with practice you will be surprised how quick you can reload a single shot.
The selection of full choke is simple as well. This helps the squirrel hunter's shot to reach out farther with killing power. Some claim the full choke is too dense for up close work, but this is nonsense. If the squirrel is 10 yards or so away, simple hold off a little bit. If the squirrel is going up a tree just aim a little above its head and let the side of the pattern do the work.
Remember, regardless of the gun you use be safe and be conscientious. Hunters have a responsibility to assure the safety of those around them and the obligation to quickly kill the game we pursue. And don't forget to take a kid along with you.