10 Best Caliber For Squirrel Hunting
Updated on: March 2023
Best Caliber For Squirrel Hunting in 2023
Air Rifles: A Buyer's and Shooter's Guide (Survival Guns Book 3)
Oklahoma Rifle Opener with EWA
Airgun World Magazine
- Preview Editions – Read the first 10 pages of any edition before purchasing.
- Huge Archive of Back Issues – Subscribe and receive full access to the latest 50 issues for the duration of your subscription.
- Latest News: View the latest news and articles from our website within the app.
- Search Functionality – Search within an edition or search the full archive for articles you wish to read.
- Download Editions for Offline Reading – Great for when you’re on the go.
How To Attach Swagger Bipods to a Rifle
Assault Rifle Builder
- OVER 120 ITEMS
- 4 Different Types of Camouflage
- Realistic HD Graphics and Sound
- Shoot Your Custom Gun
The Airgun Book
Gamo 6110017154 Varmint Air Rifle .177 Cal
- .177 Cal pellet single cocking break barrel
- The Varmint features a long lasting spring piston able to deliver 1250 fps of muzzle velocity with Gamo PBA Platinum pellets .177 Cal
- Fluted polymer jacketed rifled steel barrel. Grooved cylinder rail
- 4 x 32 Shockproof Scope. Gamo trigger with adjustable second stage. It has a synthetic ambidextrous all-weather stock with a rubber recoil pad. Lightweight design
- Noise dampening: None
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY. Made In Spain
High Caliber AR500 3/8" Thick Animal Silhouette Targets - For precision practice Squirrel Rodent (Squirrel #1, 09x10)
- Includes: One 9" x 10" x 3/8" Squirrel AR500 Target - All AR500 steel is made in the USA and targets are cut in our own facility in the Midwest.
- AR500 steel is a special high carbon steel hardened to withstand repeated shots, bullets simply bounce off or vaporize upon impact. Targets will last forever with proper use.
- 1/2" AR500 targets easily withstand rifle rounds up to 338. 1/2" are the preferred thickness for rifles used in heavy Club use or Military / Police training. Ensure speed of bullet is below 2900fps at point of impact to avoid pitting.
- All targets come painted flat black (for FREE!) to prevent rust and corrosion. White, Orange, and Red Available upon request(for FREE), please contact us before your order ships for color changes
- Targets come with 5/8" hole and are ready to hang and shoot as soon as you receive them.
H&N Terminator Hollowpoint Airgun Pellets, Stunning Accuracy and Deadly Force for Hunting, .177 Caliber, 7.25 Grains (400 Count)
- SUPER ACCURATE: Accuracy is the Terminator’s calling card. The snug fit and precision of the Terminator in your . 177 cal airgun delivers extreme accuracy every time, for a consistent, reliable shooting experience.
- UNIQUE DESIGN: The raised point in the center of the hollowpoint aids in penetration while the notched edges increase expansion, delivering a knockout punch to your target.
- PERFECT FOR HUNTING: The knockdown power and shock delivered by the partitioned hollowpoint means one shot is all you need to make a clean, humane kill: ideal for rabbits, squirrels, skunks, and other pests.
- EXCELLENT AT CLOSE RANGE: The H&N Terminator is capable of producing consistent and tight groups out to 25 yards.
- PRECISELY CRAFTED: Engineered and manufactured to exacting standards, each pellet is for maximum quality and accuracy. Even the tin is carefully designed and crafted, with a screw-on lid to prevent accidental pellet spills.
- Included Components: H and N Terminator Hollowpoint Airgun Pellets .177 cal.
Review of Federal Game Shok Shotshells for Hunting
Article reviews and rates Federal's Game Shok shotgun shells, also known as the cheap Wal-Mart shotgun shells, for hunting squirrels, rabbits, grouse and other game animals.
Being a reloader I have almost always used my home rolled ammunition to hunt with over the years. When I have run low on reloads I always used a heavy 6 shot game load. However this year my son had grown big enough to use my pump shotgun and wanted to shoot it at some thrown plastic bottles. Well, by the time I realized what we were doing he had gone through all of my heavy field shells leaving only the cheap Federal Game Shok shells filled with 7.5 shot for our planned squirrel hunt.
Knowing that my pump shotgun's full choke was not nearly as tight as my full choke single shot shogun, I limited my son to about 25 yard shots with the Federal Game Shok load. As the day progressed on I relearned a lesson that I have often told others. The lesson is that squirrels and other game animals can't read. Being unaware that they were being shot with a cheap load, the squirrels rolled out of the trees each time the gun went bang. Becoming more confident in the Federal load I then let my son shoot at the normal maximum 40 yards. Again, the squirrels didn't know that the little load was being fired at them and they fell to the ground on their way to becoming served with biscuits and gravy.
The Federal Game Shok load that I was using is the H200 7.5 load. This 20 gauge ammunition is loaded with 7.5 shot in a 7/8 load that leaves the barrel at just over 1200 feet per second (according to information on the Federal website). Federal also loads two one once shells in 20 gauge Game Shok.
I was quite pleased with the use of the Federal Game Shok load for squirrel hunting. I have also used them for rabbit and grouse, which are of course not as tough as a big red squirrel. While the more expensive loads might be needed in some situations, I would have no concern with hunting with this cheap ammunition.