10 Best Dog For Upland And Waterfowl Hunting
Updated on: May 2023
Best Dog For Upland And Waterfowl Hunting in 2023
Game Dog: The Hunter's Retriever for Upland Birds and Waterfowl - A Concise New Training Method
Training the Versatile Hunting Dog
Hugh and Rebel
Banded 5mm Dog Parka - MAX5 - Large
- 5mm spandura neoprene construction
- Heavy-duty zipper
- Easy lift handles, dog leash clip
- Floatation padding provides additional buoyancy
- Easily trims for a perfect fit around neck and leg areas
Mendota Pet Skid Plate Dog Chest Protector, Orange, Medium
- Two layers of water resistant 1000 denier Corduranylon
- Adjustable strap system made of rugged nylon webbing with quick release buckles
- Slide adjusters and steel center ring to ensure the Skid Plate stays on while providing the best possible fit
- Skid Plate protects your dog's chest, stomach, and side areas
- Offers high visibility, total mobility, and a custom fit
- Adjustable strap system with quick-release buckles
- Recommended by veterinarians to protect post-surgical wounds
- Made with two layers of water resistant 1000 denier Cordura nylon
Tom Dokken's Retriever Training: The Complete Guide to Developing Your Hunting Dog
Richard A. Wolters Game Dog: The Hunter's Retriever for Upland Birds and Waterfowl [VHS]
REAL Pheasant Calls App for Pheasant Hunting & Upland Game Hunting - (ad free) BLUETOOTH COMPATIBLE
- 4 pheasant hunting soundtracks
- Effective, realistic and clear audio to of REAL pheasants
- Bluetooth compatible to sync to a Bluetooth speaker in the field
- Sounds can play in the background of your phone allowing you to text, take pictures and surf the internet without disrupting the pheasant calling sounds
- The soundtracks allow you to set the call and focus on pheasant hunting
- Connect to your speaker system with audio cables or Bluetooth (cables not included)
- No more forgetting to grab your MP3 player or memory cards, you always have your phone with you
- E-Calling audio for pheasants at a fraction of the cost of purchasing multiple soundtracks and memory cards separately
Top Dog: Training the Retriever for Waterfowl and Upland Hunting
5 Top Hunting Dog Breeds
There are several breeds of hunting dog, but here are five that are probably the best and most versatile.
What makes a good hunting dog? Training and instinct need to work hand-in-hand to help Fido sniff out, point to, flush out or retrieve your prey. There are several breeds that fit the bill, but here are the top five hunting dog breeds.
Top Five Dog Breeds for Hunting: #5 - English Springer Spaniel
This breed of dog is known as a gundog or a bird dog. The English Springer Spaniel gets its name because of how it helps its master, by springing or flushing out pray. English Springer Spaniels are high energy which makes them great for long days of hunting and trekking across terrain. Their coat is a long top coat with a thick, short undercoat which helps the English Springer Spaniel tolerant of cold climates and weather. While the English Springer Spaniel was bred for flushing out prey, but they are also good retrievers.
Top Five Dog Breeds for Hunting: #4 - Coonhounds
A Coonhound relies upon scent to track down prey for its hunter master. Generally, Coonhounds are used for tracking down small mammals like racoons and opossums. The Coonhound will chase its prey up a tree then bay loudly at the tree until the hunter arrives. Coonhounds have a short but dense coat that helps the dog be equally comfortable in hot or cold weather.
Growing up, my dad had Coonhounds that were great hunters but also very friendly and good with kids.
Top Five Dog Breeds for Hunting: #3 - English Setter
An English Setter will use its sense of smell to track down prey. Primarily used for hunting birds, the English Setter will locate the prey then crouch and wait for the hunter instead of flushing the birds.
Top Five Dog Breeds for Hunting: #2 - German Shorthaired Pointer
The German Shorthaired Pointer is a versatile hunting dog that is well-suited as a bird dog and hunting mammals like raccoons, opossums or deer. German Shorthaired Pointers are intelligent and highly-trainable. The German Shorthaired Pointer has an excellent scenting ability and like the English Setter, doesn't flush prey but instead freezes and points it out - hence the name Pointer. The German Shorthaired Pointer is a very intelligent dog breed and is known to be a great tracker.
Top Five Dog Breeds for Hunting: #1 - Labrador Retriever
No surprise here, the Labrador Retriever is listed at the top of the heap for hunting dogs. The Labrador Retriever is probably best known as a water dog due to its water-repellant coat and webbed feet that allow it to easily swim through water to retrieve prey.
Labrador Retrievers are generally intelligent with a good temperament - making them highly-trainable and great companions. Some of the qualities that make the Labrador Retriever the top hunting dog breed are its versatility. The Labrador retrieves, but it also is a good tracker and pointer and easily adapts to new situations.
My experiences with Labrador Retrievers has been that they tend to have a touch of attention deficit issues and can be headstrong, but their personalities are very sweet and they make good family dogs.
Whatever you are hunting, choose a dog that fits your needs and will also offer companionship. A hunting dog can become a tried and true, loyal companion even when it is not hunting.