10 Best Squirrel Hunting Vest
Updated on: March 2023
Best Squirrel Hunting Vest in 2023
Orvis Waxed Cotton Strap Vest/Waxed-cotton Strap Vest, Dark Khaki, Xl/Xxl
Gamehide Upland Vest, X-Large
- Made using the highest quality materials
- Tested for durability
- Made to be comfortable and quiet
Gamehide Men's Upland Vest (Olive/Orange, Large)
- Large front dump pocets
- Orange on back for added safetey
- Slightly oversized to fit over clothing
- Rear game bag
Gamehide Switchgrass Upland Field Bird Vest (Marsh Brown/Orange, Large)
- This vest is oversized and fits one size larger than size stated. Made to go over a jacket.
- Front shell holders with fabric gun protector
- Quilted shoulders for added comfort while shooting
- Durable cotton canvas fabric with quality stitching
- Extra large zippered slash pockets for extra shells and a blood proof game bag
Gamehide Front Loader Vest (Mossy Oak Shadow Grass Blades, Large)
- Large cargo pockets
- Blood-proof game bag
- External shell loops
- Light but durable fabric
Primos Gunhunter's Vest (Blaze Orange, XXX-Large)
- Whether you are a professional, recreational user, or even casual, primos will fit the mold for all types of people
- License tag holder on the back
- Elastic shooting stick pocket, Safety harness opening
- Interior pocket for walkie talkie or cell phone, Two large interior pockets for extra storage
- Pull down PVC waterproof lining, to keep you dry no matter where you sit, with hook & loop fastener that store inside when not in use
- Compass & LED light attached to zipper
Mountain Pass Extreme Big Game Blaze Vest (Orange Camo, Large)
- Front side zipper for easy on/off
- Lined kangaroo pocket with large external pouch that has shotgun shell holders
- Two vertical chest pockets and rifle shell holders with flap
- Rear has large cargo pouch with backpack like staps for hauling insulated clothing etc.
- Slot for safety strap - Fabric license holder tab and shoulder grips for sling
Browning Trapper Creek Vest, Sage/Black, Large
- Products designed in the USA with quality materials
- High tensile and durability with all Browning gear
- Whether you're an avid outdoors man or recreational, good for all people
Gamehide Camo Front Loading Upland Dove Hunting Vest with Camo Back
- Large cargo pockets for shells or other gear allow for easy access
- The blood-proof game bag keeps your clothes clean and protected
- External shell holder will hold 12 or 20 gauge shells and retain shape for years of use
- Front and rear loading camo printed game bag. Lightweight fabric for all day use
- Great for pheasants, squirrels, rabbits, teal and more!
Trailcrest Kids Mossy Oak Deluxe Front Loader Hunting Vest, Small, Breakup Country
- GAME BAG- Waterproof/ Blood proof rear game bag with easy entry that won't ruin your clothing, and expands with snaps to fit your game. It can alternately be used as a pull down waterproof seat for wet & swampy grounds.
- VENTILATION - mesh lining on the full vest for excellent air ventilation
- POCKETS- two front cargo pockets with flaps, 28 concealed and open shell loops & 2 hidden zippered pockets
- SHOOTERS PATCH - quilted padding at the shoulder for added comfort
- BACK TAG HOLDER FITTINGS: Vest includes two grommet holes in the centr back to keep hunter’s license tag properly displayed.
Squirrel Hunting with a Decoy
Squirrel hunting with a decoy might not be a common practice, but is certainly another way to add to your hunting effectiveness.
I took the squirrel statue home and used some white paint to brighten its belly and add some faint white splotches to its tail and back. These were added to make the squirrel decoy stand out a little more in the woods. For those who want something a little more light weight, stuffed animal squirrels can be purchased and even plush squirrel decoys that are intended for predator hunting. I should note that a squirrel decoy may well bring in a predator though none have come to my squirrel statue. As many states have open or long seasons for coyotes, foxes, etc. be aware of the open predator season when squirrel hunting and take them as well if you want.
When I took the squirrel decoy out into the woods (covered in a backpack for safety's sake) I found a large log and placed the decoy on a prominent area of the log. I positioned myself about 30 yards away on a bank overlooking the log and started to use my squirrel call. With-in about an hour 3 squirrels had gotten onto the log and 2 more came and took a look at the large, motionless stranger. With 4 squirrels in the bag and a game coming on that I wanted to watch, I gathered up my decoy and headed home. It is of course difficult to say whether or not the decoy added to my game bag that day, but the 3 that got onto the log with the decoy presented nice easy shots. I only wish that I would have thought of this idea years earlier when teaching my son to squirrel hunt. With the addition of the decoy those squirrel dinners would have been much more filling!
Squirrel hunting with a decoy might not be a traditional way to hunt, but it works to put more of these tasty critters into the frying pan.